Looking for some great stories to read with kids?
The link below has 150 stories from all over the world, all in English but in many other languages as well.
Children’s stories are also a GREAT way for adults and older children to explore the values of another culture. Read some of the stories and consider the following questions:
- What are the values expressed in this story?
- Does your own culture emphasize these same values or different ones?
- Does the story appeal to you or not?
- Do cultural similarities or differences have a part to play in what does or does not appeal to you?
- What style differences do you notice in stories from different cultures?
- Think about common childhood stories in your own culture. What values do they emphasize?
- How have the stories of your childhood shaped your own values?